German-Style Schwarzbier Style
- Color: Very dark brown to black, with a pale-colored head.
- Clarity: Beer color may be too dark to perceive. When clarity is perceivable, chill haze should not be present.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium malt aroma displays a mild roasted malt character. Malt sweetness is low to medium and displays a mild roasted malt character without bitterness.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Hop aroma and ﬂavor is very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Low to medium-low
German-Style Schwarzbier Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.044-1.052 (11-12.9 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.016 (2.6-4.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.0%-3.9% (3.8%-4.9%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 22-30
- Color SRM (EBC) 25-40(50-80 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.