German-Style Maerzen Style
- Color: Pale to reddish-brown
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Bready or biscuity malt aroma and flavor should be present. Sweet maltiness is medium-low to medium and leads to a muted clean hop bitterness. Malt ﬂavors should be of light toast rather than strong caramel. Low level caramel character is acceptable.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low with attributes typical of noble hop varieties
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-low to medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present
- Body: Medium
German-Style Maerzen Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.050-1.060 (12.4-14.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.012-1.020 (3.1-5.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.0%-4.7% (5.1%-6.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 18-25
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-15(8-30 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – European Origin Lager Styles – German-Style Maerzen