German-Style Doppelbock Style
- Color: Copper to dark brown
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Pronounced aromas and flavors of toasted malted barley. Some caramel and toffee character can contribute to complexity in a secondary role. Dark fruit flavors such as prune and raisin may be present. Malty sweetness is pronounced but should not be cloying. There should be no astringency from roasted malts.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Hop aroma is absent. Hop ﬂavor is low.
- Perceived Bitterness: Low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Alcoholic strength is high. Fruity esters are commonly perceived at low to moderate levels. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Full
German-Style Doppelbock Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.074-1.080 (18-19.3 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.014-1.020 (3.6-5.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.2%-6.2% (6.6%-7.9%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 17-27
- Color SRM (EBC) 12-30(24-60 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – European Origin Lager Styles – German-Style Doppelbock