Franconian-Style Rotbier Style
- Color: Amber to dark red
- Clarity: Clear to slightly hazy for unfiltered versions. Chill haze should not be present.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Light toasted malt aroma and malt sweetness is typical. Light caramel or biscuit character may be present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium-low, with attributes typical of noble-type hops.
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium-low, producing a clean finish.
- Fermentation Characteristics: DMS, diacetyl, fruity esters and phenolic attributes should not be present.
- Body: Medium
Franconian-Style Rotbier Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.046-1.056 (11.4-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.010 (2.1-2.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8%-4.4% (4.8%-5.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-28
- Color SRM (EBC) 13-23(26-46 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – European Origin Lager Styles – Franconian-Style Rotbier