European-Style Dark Lager Style
- Color: Light brown to dark brown
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium with chocolate, roast, and malt aromas and flavors present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to low with attributes typical of noble-type hops.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-low to medium-high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Low to medium-low
- Additional notes: These beers offer a ﬁne balance of sweet maltiness and hop bitterness.
European-Style Dark Lager Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.048-1.056 (11.9-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.014-1.018 (3.6-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8%-4.2% (4.8%-5.3%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-35
- Color SRM (EBC) 15-24(30-48 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – European Origin Lager Styles – European-Style Dark Lager