Dortmunder/European-Style Export Style
- Color: Straw to deep gold
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Sweet malt character should be low and should not be caramelly
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium
- Additional notes: Traditionally, German-style Export beers were brewed to higher gravity/higher alcohol than domestic beers to promote longer shelf-life in export markets.
Dortmunder/European-Style Export Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.048-1.057 (11.9-14 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.014 (2.6-3.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.0%-4.8% (5.1%-6.1%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 23-29
- Color SRM (EBC) 3-6(6-12 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.