Bamberg-Style Helles Rauchbier Style
- Color: Light pale to gold
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt character is prominent with malt aromas suggesting lightly toasted sweet malted barley. Smoke beechwood character ranges from very low to medium. Smoky aroma should be not harshly phenolic. Sulfur may be present at low levels. There should be no caramel character. Smoke ﬂavor may create a perception of mild sweetness.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Hop aroma and ﬂavor is very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present. Very low levels of sulfur-related compounds are acceptable.
- Body: Medium
Bamberg-Style Helles Rauchbier Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.044-1.050 (11-12.4 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.012 (2.1-3.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.8%-4.4% (4.8%-5.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 18-25
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-5.5(8-11 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – European Origin Lager Styles – Bamberg-Style Helles Rauchbier