American-Style Maerzen/Oktoberfest Style
- Color: Pale to reddish brown
- Clarity: Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Sweet maltiness should be present, expressed as a light toasted character. Bready or biscuity malt aroma and ﬂavor is acceptable. Low level caramel attributes are acceptable.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium-low exhibiting herbal, grass-like, spicy, floral or citrus attributes
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-low to medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present
- Body: Medium
- Additional notes: The American version of this classic German beer is distinguished by a more pronounced hop character.
American-Style Maerzen/Oktoberfest Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.050-1.060 (12.4-14.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.012-1.020 (3.1-5.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.0%-4.7% (5.1%-6.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-30
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-15(8-30 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – North American Origin Lager Styles – American-Style Maerzen/Oktoberfest