American-Style Lager Style
- Color: Straw to gold
- Clarity: Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt sweetness is very low to low
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Not present to very low
- Perceived Bitterness: Not present to very low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are usually absent, but may be present at very low levels. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Low
- Additional notes: Corn, rice, or other grain or sugar adjuncts are often used. American Lagers are very clean and crisp, and aggressively carbonated.
American-Style Lager Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.048 (10-11.9 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.006-1.012 (1.5-3 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.2%-4.0% (4.1%-5.1%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 5-15
- Color SRM (EBC) 2-4(4-8 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Lager Styles – North American Origin Lager Styles – American-Style Lager