Session India Pale Ale Style
- Color: Straw to copper
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures. Hop haze is allowable at any temperature.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: A low to medium maltiness should be present in aroma and ﬂavor.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Hop aroma and ﬂavor are medium to high and can display qualities from a wide variety of hops from all over the world. Overall hop character is assertive.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium to high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are low to medium. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Low to medium
- Additional notes: Beers exceeding 5.0% abv are not considered Session India Pale Ales. Beers under 5.0% abv (4.0% abw) which meet the criteria for another classic or traditional style category are not considered Session India Pale Ales.
Session India Pale Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.038-1.052 (9.5-12.9 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.014 (2-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.0%-4.0% (3.7%-5.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 40-55
- Color SRM (EBC) 3-12(6-24 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Hybrid/Mixed Lagers or Ale – Session India Pale Ale