Other Strong Ale or Lager Style
- Color: Varies with underlying style
- Clarity: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Bitterness: Varies with underlying style
- Fermentation Characteristics: Within the framework of these guidelines, beers of any style intentionally brewed to a higher alcohol content than defined within that style’s guidelines are categorized as Other Strong Beer. These beers should achieve a balance between the style’s characteristics and the additional alcohol.
- Body: Varies with underlying style
- Additional notes: When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, brewers may be asked to provide supplemental information about entries in this category to allow for accurate evaluation of diverse entries. Such information might include the underlying beer style(s) being made to higher alcoholic strength, or other information unique to the entry such as ingredients or processing which influence perceived sensory outcomes such as microflora, fruit, spices or other ingredients, wood aging, etc.
Other Strong Ale or Lager Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.4%+ (8%+)
- Bitterness (IBU) Varies with style
- Color SRM (EBC) Varies with style
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Hybrid/Mixed Lagers or Ale – Other Strong Ale or Lager