Non-Alcohol Malt Beverage Style
- Color: Varies with underlying style
- Clarity: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Varies with underlying style
- Perceived Bitterness: Varies with underlying style
- Fermentation Characteristics: Non-alcohol (N/A) malt beverages can emulate the character of any beer style defined within these guidelines but without alcohol (less than 0.5 percent abv). Due to their nature, non-alcohol malt beverages will have a proﬁle lacking the complexity and balance of ﬂavors that beers containing alcohol will display. N/A beers should be assessed with this is mind, and should not be given negative evaluations for reasons related to the absence of alcohol.
- Body: Varies with underlying style
- Additional notes: For purposes of competition, brewers will be asked to verify that the alcohol content of entries in this category are <0.5% abv.
When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, brewers may be asked to provide supplemental information about entries in this category to allow for accurate evaluation of diverse entries, such as the underlying classic beer style.
Non-Alcohol Malt Beverage Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) <0.4% abw (<0.5% abv)
- Bitterness (IBU) Varies with style
- Color SRM (EBC) Varies with style
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.