Mixed-Culture Brett Beer Style
- Color: Any color is acceptable. Beer color may be influenced by the color of added fruits or other ingredients.
- Clarity: Chill haze, bacteria and yeast-induced haze is allowable at low to medium levels at any temperature.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: In darker versions, roasted malt, caramel and chocolate aromas and ﬂavors are present at low levels.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low to high
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Medium to high fruity esters are present. Acidity resulting from fermentation with Brettanomyces and/or bacteria results in a complex flavor profile. Brettanomyces character should be present and expressed as horsey, goaty, leathery, phenolic, fruity and/or acidic aromas and flavors. Cultured yeast may be used in the fermentation. Bacteria should be incorporated and in evidence. Bacteria will contribute acidity which may or may not dominate the flavor profile. Diacetyl and DMS should not be present.
- Body: Low to high
- Additional notes: Fruited versions will exhibit fruit ﬂavors in balance with other elements. Wood vessels may be used for fermentation and aging, but wood-derived aromas and ﬂavors such as vanillin should not be present. Versions exhibiting attributes derived from wood or liquids previously aged in wood are categorized in Wood-Aged Beer categories. Sour wood- and barrel-aged versions are categorized in Wood-Aged Sour Beer categories.
When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, brewers may be asked to provide supplemental information about entries in this category to allow for accurate evaluation of diverse entries. Such information might include the underlying beer style upon which the entry is based, or other information unique to the entry such as type of Brett(s) and/or other culture(s) used, fruit(s) or other ingredients used or other factors which influence perceived sensory outcomes.
Mixed-Culture Brett Beer Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) Varies with style
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) Varies with style
- Bitterness (IBU) Varies with style
- Color SRM (EBC) Varies with style
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.