Ginjo Beer or Sake-Yeast Beer Style
- Color: Pale to dark brown
- Clarity: Slight chill haze is acceptable
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Very low to medium
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium and in harmony with sake-like character
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium and in harmony with sake-like character
- Fermentation Characteristics: These beers are brewed with sake yeast or sake (koji) enzymes. The unique byproducts of sake yeast and/or koji enzymes should be distinctive and in harmony with other elements. Sake character may best be described as having mild fruitiness and mild earthiness, with mushroom and/or an umami protein-like character. A high amount of alcohol may be evident.
- Body: Varies depending on original gravity. Mouthfeel also varies.
- Additional notes: High carbonation should be present.
Ginjo Beer or Sake-Yeast Beer Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.090 (10-21.6 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.020 (2.1-5 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.4%-8.2% (4.3%-10.2%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 12-35
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-20(8-40 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Hybrid/Mixed Lagers or Ale – Ginjo Beer or Sake-Yeast Beer