California Common Beer Style
- Color: Light amber to medium amber
- Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium level toasted and/or caramel malt attributes are present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium-low
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium to medium-high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are low to medium-low. Diacetyl should be absent.
- Body: Medium
- Additional notes: California Common beers are brewed with lager yeasts but fermented at warm temperatures like ales
California Common Beer Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.045-1.056 (11.2-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.018 (2.6-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.6%-4.5% (4.6%-5.7%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 35-45
- Color SRM (EBC) 8-15(16-30 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Hybrid/Mixed Lagers or Ale – California Common Beer