Swedish-Style Gotlandsdricke Style
- Color: Pale to copper
- Clarity: Chill haze or yeast haze is acceptable
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium-low to medium. Birchwood smoke character, derived from the malting process, should be present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Not present to very low
- Perceived Bitterness: Very low to medium-low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Bread/bakers’ yeast is traditionally used for fermentation and contributes to unique character of these beers. Fruity ester and yeasty aromas are medium to high. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium to full
- Additional notes: Juniper aroma and flavor should be present due to the use of juniper boughs/branches and berries in the brewing process. These beers are characterized by juniper and birchwood smoked malt.
Swedish-Style Gotlandsdricke Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.050 (10-12.4 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.014 (2.5-3.5 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.4%-5.2% (5.5%-6.5%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 15-25
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-12(8-24 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – Other Origin Ale Styles – Swedish-Style Gotlandsdricke