Robust Porter Style
- Color: Very dark brown to black
- Clarity: Opaque
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium to medium-high. Malty sweetness, roast malt, cocoa and caramel should be in harmony with bitterness from dark malts.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to medium
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium to high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters should be present and balanced with all other characters. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium to full
Robust Porter Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.045-1.060 (11.2-14.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.016 (2.1-4.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.0%-5.2% (5.1%-6.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 25-40
- Color SRM (EBC) 30+(60+ EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – British Origin Ale Styles – Robust Porter