Oatmeal Stout Style
- Color: Dark brown to black
- Clarity: Beer color may be too dark to perceive. When clarity is perceivable, chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Coffee, caramel, roasted malt or chocolate aromas should be prominent. Roasted malt character of caramel or chocolate should be smooth without bitterness.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Optional, but if present should not upset the overall balance.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Oatmeal is used in the grist, resulting in a pleasant, full ﬂavor without being grainy. Fruity esters are not present to very low. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Full
Oatmeal Stout Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.038-1.056 (9.5-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.020 (2.1-5.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.0%-4.8% (3.8%-6.1%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-40
- Color SRM (EBC) 20+(40+ EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.