Leipzig-Style Gose Style
- Color: Straw to light amber
- Clarity: Clear to hazy. Haze may or may not be from yeast.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt sweetness and attributes are not present to very low
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Not present
- Perceived Bitterness: Not present to low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Medium to high lactic acid character should be present and expressed as a sharp, refreshing sourness. These beers are not excessively aged.
- Body: Low to medium-low
- Additional notes: These beers typically contain malted barley and unmalted wheat, with some versions also containing oats. Salt (table salt) and coriander may be present in low amounts or may be absent. Carbonation is high to very high. Effervescent.
When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, brewers may be asked to provide supplemental information about entries in this category to allow for accurate evaluation of diverse entries. Such information might include whether coriander, salt and/or Brettanomyces is used and/or other information about the brewing process.
Leipzig-Style Gose Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.036-1.056 (9-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.012 (2.1-3.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5%-4.3% (4.4%-5.4%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 5-15
- Color SRM (EBC) 2-7(4-14 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – German Origin Ale Styles – Leipzig-Style Gose