Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale Style
- Color: Straw to deep light amber
- Clarity: Low to very high degree of cloudiness is typical of these beers. Starch, yeast, hop, protein and/or other compounds contribute to a wide range of hazy appearance within this category.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium-low malt aroma and flavor may be present
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to very high hop aroma and flavor are present, with attributes typical of hops from any origin
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium. The impression of bitterness is soft and well-integrated into overall balance and may differ significantly from measured or calculated IBU levels.
- Fermentation Characteristics: Medium to medium-high fruity esters are present, and can contribute to the perception of sweetness and be complementary to the hop profile. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium-low to medium-high. A silky or full mouthfeel may contribute to overall flavor profile.
- Additional notes: Grist may include oats, wheat or other adjuncts to promote haziness. Lactose may be used to enhance body and balance. Lactose should not lend to, or overwhelm, the flavor character of these beers. The term “juicy” is frequently used to describe taste and aroma attributes often present in these beers which result from late, often very large, additions of hops. A juicy character is not required, however. Other hop-derived attributes such as citrus, pine, spice, floral or others may be present with or without the presence of juicy attributes. Versions of this style brewed with darker malts, non-traditional ale yeasts, fruits, spices or other flavorings are categorized as Experimental India Pale Ales.
Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.060-1.070 (14.7-17.1 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.020 (2-5 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.0%-6.0% (6.3%-7.5%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 30-50; may differ significantly from perceived bitterness
- Color SRM (EBC) 3-7(6-14 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – North American Origin Ale Styles – Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale