Juicy or Hazy Imperial or Double India Pale Ale Style
- Color: Straw to light amber
- Clarity: Low to very high degree of cloudiness is typical of these beers. Starch, yeast, hop, protein and/or other compounds contribute to a wide range of hazy appearance within this category.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to high malt aroma and flavor may be present
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High to very high hop aroma and flavor are present, with attributes typical of hops from any origin.
- Perceived Bitterness: Low to medium. The impression of bitterness is soft and well-integrated into overall balance, and may differ significantly from measured or calculated IBU levels.
- Fermentation Characteristics: Medium-high to high fruity esters are present, and can contribute to the perception of sweetness and be complementary to the hop profile. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium to high. A silky or full mouthfeel may contribute to overall flavor profile.
- Additional notes: Grist may include oats, wheat or other adjuncts to promote haziness. The term “juicy” is frequently used to describe taste and aroma hop-derived attributes often present in these beers which result from late, often very large, additions of hops. A juicy character is not required, however. Other hop-derived attributes such as citrus, pine, spice, floral or others may be present with or without the presence of juicy attributes. Versions of this style brewed with darker malts, non-traditional ale yeasts, fruits, spices or other flavorings are categorized as Experimental India Pale Ales.
Juicy or Hazy Imperial or Double India Pale Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.070-1.100 (17.1-23.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.012-1.024 (3.1-6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.0%-8.4% (7.6%-10.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 45-80; may differ significantly from perceived bitterness
- Color SRM (EBC) 3-7(6-14 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – North American Origin Ale Styles – Juicy or Hazy Imperial or Double India Pale Ale