Imperial Red Ale Style
- Color: Deep amber to dark copper/reddish-brown
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium to high caramel malt character is present in aroma and ﬂavor
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High, derived from any variety of hops. Hop ﬂavor is prominent and balanced with other beer attributes.
- Perceived Bitterness: Very high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Very high alcohol is a hallmark of this style. Complex alcohol ﬂavors may be present. Fruity esters are medium. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Full
Imperial Red Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.080-1.100 (19.3-23.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.020-1.028 (5.1-7.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 6.3%-8.4% (8.0%-10.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 55-85
- Color SRM (EBC) 10-17(20-34 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – North American Origin Ale Styles – Imperial Red Ale