Finnish-Style Sahti Style
- Color: Pale to copper
- Clarity: Chill haze, yeast haze and general turbidity is acceptable.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt aroma is medium-low to medium. Malt ﬂavor is medium to high with malt sweetness present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Not present to very low
- Perceived Bitterness: Very low
- Fermentation Characteristics: These beers can vary significantly in character. Fruity ester and yeasty aromas are medium to high. Diacetyl should not be present. Bread/bakers’ yeast is traditionally used for fermentation and may produce flavors and aromas of complex alcohols, clove-like phenolics and banana fruitiness.
- Body: Medium to full
- Additional notes: Juniper aroma and ﬂavor should be present due to the use of juniper boughs/branches and berries in the brewing process
Finnish-Style Sahti Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.060-1.090 (14.7-21.6 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.016-1.040 (4-10 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.6%-6.8% (7.0%-8.5%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 3-16
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-12(8-24 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.