Export-Style Stout Style
- Color: Black
- Clarity: Opaque
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Coffee-like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas are prominent. Initial malt and light caramel ﬂavors give way to a distinctive dry-roasted bitterness in the ﬁnish.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Should not be present
- Perceived Bitterness: May be analytically high, but the perception is lessened by malt sweetness.
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are low. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels. Slight acidity is acceptable.
- Body: Medium to full
- Additional notes: Head retention should be persistent
Export-Style Stout Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.052-1.072 (12.9-17.5 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.020 (2.1-5.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.5%-6.4% (5.6%-8.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 30-60
- Color SRM (EBC) 40+(80+ EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.