English-Style Brown Ale Style
- Color: Copper to dark brown
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Roast malt may contribute to a biscuit or toasted aroma proﬁle. Roast malt may contribute to the ﬂavor proﬁle. Malt profile can range from dry to sweet.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low
- Perceived Bitterness: Very low to low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Low to medium-low level fruity esters are appropriate. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Medium
English-Style Brown Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.050 (10-12.4 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.014 (2.1-3.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.3%-4.7% (4.2%-6.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 12-25
- Color SRM (EBC) 12-24(24-48 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.