Classic English-Style Pale Ale Style
- Color: Gold to copper
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium malt aroma and ﬂavor is present. Low caramel character is allowable.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-low to medium-high, expressed as ﬂoral, herbal, earthy, stone fruit or other attributes. While English hop character should be present, this can result from the skillful use of hops of other origin.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-low to medium-high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are medium to medium-high. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Medium
Classic English-Style Pale Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.056 (10-13.8 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.016 (2.1-4.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5%-4.2% (4.4%-5.3%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-40
- Color SRM (EBC) 5-12(10-24 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.