Brown Porter Style
- Color: Dark brown to very dark. May have red tint.
- Clarity: Beer color may be too dark to perceive clarity. When clarity is perceivable, chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium malt sweetness. Caramel and chocolate attributes are acceptable. Strong roast barley or strong burnt or black malt character should not be present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to medium
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are acceptable. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at low levels.
- Body: Low to medium
Brown Porter Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.050 (10-12.4 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.006-1.014 (1.5-3.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5%-4.7% (4.4%-6.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 20-30
- Color SRM (EBC) 20-35(40-70 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.