Berliner-Style Weisse Style
- Color: Straw to pale. These are the lightest of all the German wheat beers.
- Clarity: May appear hazy or cloudy from yeast or chill haze
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Malt sweetness is absent
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Not present
- Perceived Bitterness: Not present to very low
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are low to medium. Diacetyl should not be present. Brettanomyces character may be absent or present at low to medium levels, and if present may be expressed as horsey, goaty, leathery, phenolic, fruity and/or acidic aromas and flavors. The unique combination of yeast and lactic acid bacteria fermentation yields a beer that is acidic and highly attenuated.
- Body: Very low
- Additional notes: Carbonation is high. Traditionally, some Berliners were brewed or served with fruit, spices or syrups. Some more contemporary versions have been brewed with other ingredients such as darker malts. Any such versions will take on corresponding hues, and may exhibit flavor and aroma attributes typical of such ingredients.
When using these guidelines as the basis for evaluating entries at competitions, brewers may be asked to provide supplemental information about entries in this category to allow for accurate evaluation of diverse entries. Competition organizers may create subcategories which reflect groups of entries based on the addition of fruit, spice or specialty malt, or other ingredients or processes. Fruited or ﬂavored entries would be accompanied by a very brief description of the fruit/ﬂavor used by the brewer.
Berliner-Style Weisse Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.028-1.044 (7.1-11 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.004-1.006 (1-1.5 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 2.2%-4.0% (2.8%-5.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 3-6
- Color SRM (EBC) 2-4(4-8 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – German Origin Ale Styles – Berliner-Style Weisse