American-Style Strong Pale Ale Style
- Color: Pale to copper
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures. Hop haze is allowable at any temperature.
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low caramel malt aroma is allowable. Low level maltiness may include low caramel malt character.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: High, exhibiting ﬂoral, fruity (berry, tropical, stone fruit and other), sulfur, diesel-like, onion-garlic, catty, citrusy, piney or resinous character that was originally associated with American-variety hops. Hops with these attributes now also originate from countries other than the USA.
- Perceived Bitterness: High
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters may be low to high. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium
American-Style Strong Pale Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.050-1.060 (12.4-14.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.008-1.016 (2.1-4.1 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.4%-5.6% (5.6%-7.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 40-50
- Color SRM (EBC) 4-14(8-28 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.