American-Style Imperial Stout Style
- Color: Black
- Clarity: Opaque
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Extremely rich malty aroma is typical. Extremely rich malty ﬂavor with full sweet malt character is typical. Roasted malt astringency and bitterness can be moderate but should not dominate the overall character.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to high with ﬂoral, citrus and/or herbal character.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-high to very high and balanced with rich malt character.
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are high. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Full
American-Style Imperial Stout Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.080-1.100 (19.3-23.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.020-1.030 (5.1-7.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.5%-9.5% (7.0%-12.0%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 50-80
- Color SRM (EBC) 40+(80+ EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.