American-Style Brown Ale Style
- Color: Deep copper to very dark brown
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium levels of roasted malt, caramel and chocolate aromas and flavors should be present.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-low to medium-high
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium to high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Low to medium-low fruity esters may be present. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium
American-Style Brown Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.040-1.060 (10-14.7 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.018 (2.6-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.3%-5.0% (4.2%-6.3%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 30-45
- Color SRM (EBC) 15-26(30-52 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.