American-Style Black Ale Style
- Color: Very dark to black
- Clarity: Opaque
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Low to medium-low caramel malt and dark roasted malt aromas and ﬂavors are present. Astringency and burnt character of roast malt should be absent.
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to high, with fruity, citrusy, piney, ﬂoral, herbal or other aromas derived from hops of all origins.
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium-high to high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters are low to medium. Diacetyl should not be present.
- Body: Medium
- Additional notes: Black ales that don’t meet the specifications for American-Style Black Ale may possibly be categorized as Experimental India Pale Ale category.
American-Style Black Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.056-1.075 (13.8-18.2 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.012-1.018 (3.1-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.0%-6.0% (6.3%-7.6%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 40-70
- Color SRM (EBC) 35+(70+ EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.