American-Style Amber/Red Ale Style
- Color: Copper to reddish-brown
- Clarity: Chill haze is acceptable at low temperatures
- Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Medium-high to high maltiness with low to medium caramel character
- Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: American-variety hop character may range from low to medium-low in aroma and flavor
- Perceived Bitterness: Medium to medium-high
- Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters, if present, are low. Diacetyl is usually absent in these beers but may be present at very low levels.
- Body: Medium to medium-high
American-Style Amber/Red Ale Vital Statistics
- Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.048-1.058 (11.9-14.3 °Plato)
- Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010-1.018 (2.5-4.6 °Plato)
- Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 3.5%-4.8% (4.4%-6.1%)
- Bitterness (IBU) 25-45
- Color SRM (EBC) 11-18(22-36 EBC)
2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines used with permission of Brewers Association.
Credit: 2020 Brewers Association Beer Style Guidelines – Ale Styles – North American Origin Ale Styles – American-Style Amber/Red Ale